We are looking for an Assistant Controller for our client, a bookkeeping firm in Toronto that works primarily with small and medium sized businesses and other accounting firms. This is a full-time permanent position, 37.5 hours per week, working at the office, in the Davisville area (near the TTC station), with some remote flexibility in the future. Approx. 3 days in the office per week. This is NOT a CPA firm, so this not the right role for a CPA student looking for mentoring.
The accounting professional we are looking for will be/have:
- Professional, yet personable, in communication with internal and external clients
- Strong ability to maintain professional judgment and integrity
- Top level attention to detail and accountability for the work you produce, maintain and manage
- Excellent communication skills, verbally and in writing, in English
- Committed and loyal with the desire to grow with the company and create long-term working relationship
- Confident to work to work autonomously in a remote environment in support for multiple clients and deadlines across various industries, simultaneously
- Able to analyze a situation and investigate issues in order to resolve accurately and to assist clients and team members in meeting their own challenges
- Always willing to support the team; jumping in where needed to help and not afraid to ask questions when in doubt
- Comfortable in a tech savvy environment and can quickly learn and understand new applications in order to support clients and provide real-time bookkeeping
The responsibilities in this role will be:
- Full-Cycle bookkeeping (up to Trial Balance) for many different businesses
- Sales tax calculations and government remittances for GST/HST, BC PST, MB PST, QST etc.
- Period-end analysis and reviews; adjustments and G/L management
- Assist in preparation of working papers
- Some supervision of JR bookkeepers
Qualifications & Technology skills that you need are:
- 3- 5 years of accounting and bookkeeping experience is required, preferably within a multiple business organization (i.e., you have worked on multiple clients’ accounts at any given time) such as another accounting firm
- Multiple year experience in preparing GST/HST filings, PST, and comfort with liaising with the CRA
- Familiarity with payroll accounting (not processing) is critical
- Post-secondary education (college, university, trade) in accounting or bookkeeping (Certificate or diploma), resulting in strong knowledge of accounting fundamentals and GAAP
- Experience using QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop accounting software for day-to-day business accounting for multiple businesses
- Must have advanced skills in Excel (pivot tables, etc.)
- Experience with Dropbox, Google Suite, Office 365
Why is this a great place to work at?
- Great variety in the work, various industries and projects
- Health spending account
If this sounds like you and you would like to be considered, please submit your resume and cover letter.
Only serious and qualified applicants will be considered. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted and will be required to complete accounting aptitude and software tests, provide proof of certification, as well as references.
We look forward to hearing from you!